Seniors hit Six Flags for a day of friends and fun

The Colossus is just one of many thrilling rides that await seniors on their trip to Six Flags.

Corey Mykel, Editor

Graduation is around the corner. Approaching fast is the last day of school for seniors. As seniors prepare for finals, finalize their college applications, completing FAFSA, and deciding where they want to go to college, and work hard to finish strong with good grades, they need a day off from it all.

A day that is not the weekend. A day that isn’t the holiday. A day that isn’t a day off from school being cancelled due to weather or other conditions.

Fortunately, that day is Senior Activity Day. A day rewarding all of those who’ve worked so hard to make it to this point and a day that creates some of their final memories of their high school career. Tuesday, April 19th, seniors had a fun, memory-creating, stress-free day at the amusement park Six Flags St. Louis.

“Last year our kids were excellent. There was basically nothing any of the chaperons could say that didn’t go well. Our kids behaved well, it was good weather, and it was fun,” said Mrs. Pukala, the senior activity day director and teach of senior-only classes such as Health Occupations.

Senior activity day, being created by Mrs. Pukala, serves as a day dedicated to seniors to get off campus and relax while juniors take their ACT.

“The original concept of senior activity day is that it’s just a time for seniors to get together and I thought of how it was too bad they couldn’t go somewhere to do this and that’s how Six Flags came up,” said Pukala.

On this day, seniors spent thrilling hours riding rides such as The Superman, a ride that takes you 230 ft vertically in the air and drops you at 60 miles per hour, and The Boss, a wooden thrill ride taking you throughout the tracks at 65 miles per hour. Not only will you be riding thrill rides but you will be able to dance as there will be an on-site DJ as well as being able to play any of the local games.

The cost of attending this activity day was $45, which went towards transportation, a DJ, admission in to the park, and food.  Students departed at 8:15 AM and returned at 6:00 PM.

Pukala said the origin of the trip actually came about because of the junior testing schedule.

“We found out about Six Flags because Six Flags had this thing where since juniors all across Missouri were taking the ACT on the same time, they had an idea where seniors all across the regions of Missouri should come spend that day at Six Flags,” said Pukala.