“Will you go to prom with me?”

As prom season nears, many Central students are planning (or expecting) a promposal.

Junior Camille McNeal with her boyfriend Antonio Tatum and the promposal sign he used to ask her to the McCluer prom on March 16th. “I didn’t know it was for me at first. I felt special,” she said.

Allyson Bono, Feature Writer

Usually when you think of proposals, You imagine an engagement happening. Two people who are taking the next step to committing to each other forever. High Schoolers changed the way that word is looked at now. Many high school students have been doing “promposals” lately and are changing the outlook of prom and proposals. Now promposals have became a huge part of the prom season.

Promposals originated in high schools across the country. Usually upperclassmen would get one knee and ask the person they are wanting to be their date if they would like to go to prom with them.  

Some of the popular promposals that went viral are the reasons why these promposals continue to get more and more extreme. A promposal that went viral on instagram in 2016 took place at a high school in California when a senior boy got his whole school involved in a “High School Musical”  promposal. He had people dancing on tables, his football team dancing around her and many students singing. Balloons were everywhere and kafette was free flowing from the second floor where people shot the kafette out of fake guns.    

Senior Raven Cole was the first student last year to kick off the promposals of 2016.

“I was in love and wanted to take her to prom so i asked. I got an assortment of roses, her favorite candy, a tray of edible arrangements and a group of my friends to help me make the poster,” she said.

Cole enjoyed creating her promposal and the reaction she got.

“It felt good to see her smile and knowing that i can make her happy. We went to prom and had an amazing time, unfortunately we not together now but at the time it was wonderful,” said Cole.

Some seniors have already been asked this year to attend the 2017 prom with their boyfriend or someone who is wanting to take them to prom.

Senior Destiny Walker was asked by another senior from CBC Robert Jenkins.

“Robert came to Central at the end of the day and was waiting for me by the gym doors, he had all my friends down there with him and I was very surprised,” said Walker.

As the trend spreads, many of these promposals end up being captured on video and put online, where they go viral. Social media had a major effect on how fast promposals became popular.

Senior Destini Barbee, also had a promposal her junior year that went beyond the eyes of Hazelwood Central students.

“Social media is what made my promposal blow up, it seemed like it was all over Instagram, Snapchat, and Twitter,” said Barbee.

Barbee had no clue about her promposal. It was just a regular day up until the bell rang after 3rd hour.

“It was totally a surprise because he told me he wasn’t even coming to school that day. I was totally oblivious to it and he had all his friends help. One friend stalled me as we were walking down to the commons. We were already together at the time and i knew we would be attending prom together so i wasn’t expecting anything special. It was very sweet though,” she explained.

Barbee said that she had no idea how many people would now know her face because of her promposal she received that year.

“When i went home that evening (I saw) our promposal on everyone’s Snapchat, Instagram, and Twitter-I was shocked,” she said.

Promposals have became very popular and will probably become a tradition in the future as they continue to spread around the world. Many promposals will go viral this year as many students will show out for their own promposal.