Hazelwood Central Hosts Special Olympics

Malik Thomas, Editor

The Special Olympics, one of the world’s largest sports organization for children and adults with disabilities held an event on February 23rd at Hazelwood Central. Schools from all across the Hazelwood School District participated. The Special Olympics was full of games and activities. All throughout the campus students and buddies wore Special Olympics shirts to show support. There were a variety of events around the school’s two gyms, including an opening ceremony, a basketball tournament, and games and activities in an “Olympic Village.”

Before the opening ceremony, everyone was gathering around in the gym and waited for the athletes to come to the school. The gym was getting packed and the refs were walking around figuring out where they were going to be put at.

For Senior Dontay White, this event was special and personal.

“My family has a cousin, [he has special needs] so I feel like it’d be a good cause and I’d do it for him. Today I’m just going to be referring a Basketball game on court three. I think it’ll be a fun experience for me and the kids.”

They had an open ceremony in the beginning, as different athletes passed the torch around for the lightning of the “Olympic flame.” Everybody was pumped and excited for the Special Olympics after that. Athletes rose up out of their seats and applauded with happy facial expressions. A couple athletes jumped around full of energy.

Crystal Williams, a senior, was a participant in serving food for the Special Olympic athletes.

“I like working with people and I think I do well working with people. I’m a food server and the things we are selling today are like snow cones, popcorn, drinks, act. We have to keep these kids hydrated and energetic. We can’t have anybody passing out,” she said.

Senior Anthony May also wanted to help give back.

“You know it’s my Christian Duty to give back to the Community and you know I think it’s going to be a lot of fun for these kids you know. Doing something they haven’t experienced before. Today I’m a ref. I’m not taking no jump I want to see a clean game, you know. We are out here to eat and I’m doing it for the kids, Ant May love the kids believe that,” said May.

There were some intense games worth watching while the Special Olympics athletes were playing. The refs and conductors tried hard to keep the events alive and everyone appeared as if they had a great time.

In addition, in the “Olympic Village,” face painting was a main attraction for a lot of athletes. Half of the participants covered their face any many designs. Even snow cones and snacks were also an attraction that everyone would go to. Lines were filled and stretched all throughout the gym hallways.

Part of conducting last few games was senior Omar Brown.

“It’s a good event man. It’s like, you helping the kids out. Everybody all around the world you helping them out man and I feel proud doing it,” said Brown.

Senior Cartel Davis kept score of each game and controlled the clock.

“Man it’s been some intense games man. These dudes can ball out. These girls got hands too. A guy lobbed the ball down the court real fast a couple times and she caught it with her bare hands each time. That’s crazy man. I’m having a lot of fun. After this game over we gone go to lunch and that’s it,” said Davis.

All the athletes who participated in the event or anyone with a special Olympic shirt on were able to eat lunch. Hot dogs and chips were served.

Students were sent back to class at the end of the day and the athletes went back to their main schools. They all looked worn out and like they enjoyed their time there at Hazelwood Central.

Senior Delon Stevenson sure seemed like he an enjoyed his time at the Special Olympics.

“I had fun man. My buddy and I were going in on the basketball court. It was a pleasant experience and I’d do it all over again if I could.”