Front Porch Fridays has Teachers Sitting While Supervising

Mr. Kubik, Mrs. Ursiny, and Mr. Facchin enjoy a rest while monitoring the hall. For these teachers, “Front Porch Friday” has become a way to have fun and build community.

Emma Sovar, Special to Hawk Talk

Walking past the bright yellow lockers of upstairs B hall you will see teachers standing outside their classrooms, telling students to put their IDs on, and students without IDs rushing down the hallway trying to get to class on time. But then you see something different. Some teachers are sitting in the hallway in lawn chairs, and seem to have decorated the area with a fake plant and a small table. Their students don’t think anything of it;  they’re joining in and playing them in checkers. The teachers in this strange setting are Mr. Facchin, Mr. Kubik, and Mrs. Ursiny and they’re doing what they call “Front Porch Fridays.”

They sit in upstairs B hall, by Mr. Facchin’s room, every Friday and talk to each other and their students as well. It all started by Mr. Kubik and Mr. Facchin noticing how Ursiny looked comfortable sitting in her chair outside of her classroom and decided to join her, but brought their lawn chairs to sit in.

Sitting with them in the lawn chairs makes you realize how casual and laid back the teachers are.

“We wanted to bring back the nostalgia of sitting in lawn chairs on the front porch,” said Kubik, “It’s fun, brings something for us and the students to look forward to.”

The students enjoy it as well. Between classes, they get to sit down with the teachers in their lawn chairs and talk or play them in checkers.

“Sitting with them made me feel cool,” said senior Ramya Beuford. “They’re just so laid back, it’s nice.”

There is a rumor that there is another front porch in downstairs A hall that some of the math teachers put together.

“We want it it to grow, promote it a lot,” said Facchin “The goal is have the whole hallway involved.”

Students agree with this idea and hope to see more of their teachers sitting outside their classrooms in lawn chairs.

“I think more teachers should participate to let loose a little,” Beuford said. “Try to have some fun during the school day.”

They even decorate the small area according to which holiday is coming up. For Halloween, they had a fake bonfire and were roasting marshmallows, and for Christmas, they had a tree with lights.

“We might even do a mannequin challenge one.” added Kubik.

There’s no doubt that Front Porch Fridays brighten the day of many students, teachers, and principals that may walk by and see it.

“People come here miserable, and they like it a lot,” said Kubik.