Juniors take ACT

Jaren Randels, Editor

On Tuesday, April 19th 2016, every junior at Hazelwood Central took the ACT test. The ACT for most students can be a great advantage or a great disadvantage for one who plans to go to college straight out of high school. But, the ACT doesn’t have any effect on the future for someone who has plans that don’t include college. Because of this, everybody approaches the ACT differently pending what they plan to do after high school.

For those who plan on going to college, the ACT is very important and is taken very seriously when colleges are reviewing applications.

“The ACT can make or break my future because I plan on going to college and majoring in Business and Management, so I am doing all the studying I can to prepare for the ACT,” said junior Michael Flanigan.

There are plenty of students with the same mindset as Michael, including Darnise Brooks who has done almost everything possible to prepare for the ACT.

“I have taken two ACTs in the past year-and-a-half to get a feel for myself on how it will be like when I take the real one. I have also bought an ACT study guide with flashcards for the subjects in the ACT to help me study for this big test,” she said.

One of the most popular moves when coming out of high school and not going to college is going into the military

“When I finish high school my first option is to join the military,” said junior Jamaal Whitehead.

Joining the military may be the most popular choice when coming out of high school for those who don’t plan on going on to college, but there are a ton of other options for students to choose from.

Michael Jacobs, a junior attending Hazelwood Central High School plans on having his technician trade coming out of high school, which he will then go into the field.

“My ACT score will not affect whether I can become a technician or not, so I don’t plan on doing any extra studying for the ACT,” he said.

When people make certain decisions, there is always a reason behind the decision they made. Deciding whether or not you’re going to take the ACT seriously is a huge decision because it can have an effect on your future in some way, shape, or form.

Michael Jacobs has decided to go into the military, which means he won’t be taking the ACT very seriously.

“I’ve decided not to take the ACT as serious as others may take it, because it’s not going to help or determine my future in the career I am planning on pursuing,” he said.

For some students, however, the ACT is still crucial. Darnise Brooks, will be taking the ACT very seriously because of the simple fact that her score can earn her a scholarship to the school she wants to attend.

“I want to attend Mizzou to become a doctor, and I know that if I do well enough on the ACT, I will have a good chance at earning a scholarship,” she said.