• April 14Order your 2017 yearbook for $50 at the cashier today!! Only while supplies last!

• February 10If seniors who purchased a yearbook would like a baby photo published, submit to the publications staff by 2/23

Football program looks back on season, forward to next year

The Hawks look to rebound after losing to CBC in the District finals once again.

Davion Marsaw, Editor

The 2017-18 football season was a very different one indeed. Many wondered how coach Brent Chojnacki who was an offensive coordinator a year ago, would take on his first year as head coach. Wondering what changes he would make, and how he would coach and lead this team.   

Chojnacki had a pretty good first season ending 10-2. With a win percentage of .830, and winning all of the district games his team has played. Ultimately this football team had one goal and that was to win the last game, which was Christian Brothers College (CBC) round three of the playoffs. It didn’t turn out that way.

“Win that last game is what we wanted to do, but we still did some pretty good things throughout this year,” said Chojnacki.

Even team members thought it could’ve been better.

“To be honest I feel we should’ve put in more work, we’re tired of losing that last game,” said  Keon Cross, returning middle linebacker.

This Hazelwood Central football team will lose a good amount of seniors who had a lot of impact on this years season, and they expect nothing but the best from this 18-19 team. They want them to learn from this season because it could have been better.

“It could’ve been way better if all the of the team dialed in, we could have won state,” said senior Robert Greco.       

But with every season comes an off-season and that’s where the work starts. The team always starts in the weight room pretty early to get ready for the upcoming season. With many wondering what’s next, this year’s weight room began January 11, 2018. Activities include lifting from 2:30 to 4:30 with teammates. From now to next fall they will work in the weight room, as well as working in the gym on position techniques and running to get faster.     

This team will lose 30 plus seniors, and the juniors are stepping into the that senior role.

“I’m ready for it, I’m ready to lead the team and take over for the guys before me,” said Cross.   

This year both Chojnacki and Cross plan on doing things very different from last year. Coach wants guys who have been working hard in the weight room with the other guys this year. Not like previous years where guys would show up on day one with no time in weight room

“I’d change the guys who came out last year, that hurt us a lot in the end,” explained Chojnacki.

For Cross he wants to bring a winning attitude, and motivate this year’s team.

“We’re going to lead by example, we’re going to show them how to win, and take the best guys that will follow,” Cross explained.

Many people believe in this team, and with the schedule they have ahead, it will prove a lot for this team. Next year there will be more Friday night games, because every two years they have to rotate who they play. Also, a Thursday game has been added. Next year this team will play Webster groves, Ritenour High, and Eureka in the regular season, in addition to the games against divisional opponents. There will also be a game against Hazelwood West at Lindenwood.

“I believe with the more challenging schedule that they will prove that our team is better than what people give us credit for,” said senior Eric Taylor.