As graduation looms, Hawks line up scholarships

Seniors pose at the 2017 college celebration. Students often choose a school based on the type of scholarships offered to them.

Shania Covington, Editor

With graduation for the Class of 2018 slowly approaching, many of Central students are receiving scholarships to their select colleges. Additionally, Some graduating in 2019 are also receiving scholarships from sports, academics and other organizations.

But many students who are new to the process have questions: What are the qualifications to these getting a scholarships? GPA requirements? When to apply to one? How to apply for one?

Jada Riddle, 16, is a Hazelwood Central student qualified for a scholarship from her hours helping out in drumline.

“The requirements for the scholarships were to show up 4 times a week to drumline practice”

Riddle states how meeting these requirements were not a problem for her. Furthermore, receiving the scholarship wasn’t an issue.

¨I am a professional student therefore i have never had doubts thinking i couldn’t obtain the scholarships,¨ she said.

The majority of students at Central receiving scholarships are student athletes. However, some students find themselves struggling to keep up with academics and sports. Riddle, being a student athlete, has honor classes and plays on the varsity girls lacrosse team.

¨Even though it was a hassle, I managed to balance out both academics and athletics,¨ she said.

Riddle believes that what worked for her might not work for everyone else.

¨When it comes to education and going further ahead, a lot of people have different views on it. Whereas me I just have to keep my head focused and keep thinking to myself it’s all going to pay off,¨ said Riddle.

When interested in or having any concerns about scholarships, Mrs. Latasha Harvey, college and career counselor, is the one to see. Harvey specializations in providing students adequate information about scholarships and access to different organizations giving grants to students.

Most students, however, wonder the likeliness of receiving a scholarship on a full ride.

¨It’s likely for students to get a full ride scholarship based on their two criteria; (1) GPA 3.0 or higher (2) ACT score above 26 higher, that scholarship is called Merit Based scholarship,¨ she said.

While searching for scholarships, how do students know which ones benefit them and are appropriate to apply for?

¨Most seniors will be provide with appropriate scholarships that I often post on the scholarship bulletin board located in the Guidance Office in the back office.¨ Harvey claimed.

¨Sometimes, if I know a student that will be a great candidate for a particular scholarship usually I will let them know about the scholarship. I always strongly encourage the senior class to use the search engine Scholarship Center and Fast web, these are great resources for other scholarships available,¨ she added.

Students often question if they can receive a scholarship aside from athletics and academics.

¨There are scholarships for leadership skills and volunteer services. Most of the times those scholarship has to be hand-selected . Students that are great athletics in baseball, soccer, basketball, and football or usually recruit by college institution for a full-ride,¨said Harvey.